[PLUG-TALK] Air cans and compressors

Dale F. Victor dalefv at k-com.net
Sat Jan 21 15:45:18 UTC 2006

Hello!

Being a woodworker and a computer user I have used a compressor to blow out my
computers many times.

Compressors can generate up to 160 psi which will probably take the components
right off the board.

If I do not have a regulator which I would set at about 20 psi, I kink the
hose to stop the air flow. This works and you would want to test what you are
doing.

Though there is water in the line - along with oil and probably some dirt - I
find that a quick few puffs of air gets the computer clean with no damage.

I used to have a compressor that I used with an air brush - it worked fine - I
got an industrial grade one as it was cheaper at the time and a regulator
could be used.

If you are setting up a compressor to do this make sure you have a water trap
and a regulator - there are dual use units. It makes life a lot easier.

I have not thought of the tank and the tire pump set up - it actually sounds
like a good idea - I need the exercise and the air would be cleaner and I
could put it in my computer room and carry it to friends homes.

Thanks for the ideas,

Dale F. Victor