[PLUG-TALK] Autodialer numerical math puzzle

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jun 14 17:52:11 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 02:30:17AM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> Answer 2: from the exponent on the resulting value, the number would
> have 1859934 digits.  At three digits a second, that's 619978 seconds,
> which is 30,998.9 minutes (a little over a week: 7 days, 4 hours, 12
> minutes and 58 seconds).  Let's say the phone company charges in full
> minutes, that's 30,999 minutes, times $0.03 = $929.97.

Bzzz.  619978 seconds is almost right.  The first 11 digits are dial
time and not connected, so you gotta subtract that time that you are
not charged for!  7 days 4 hours 12 minutes and 58 seconds is the
same as 619978 seconds.  However, divided by 60, that is 10,332.97
minutes, not 30,998.9 minutes.  Times $0.03/min is $309.99 .

It's the simple calculations that can get you ...

> How'd I do?  Do I win anything?

Call 1-609-714-4004 and find out ...

Sorry I kept you up most of the night with this (if your header times
are to be believed).  :-)

BTW, one cheezy fast way to compute this (though not the whole number)
is to compute gammal(362881.0L)/log(10.0L) using libm, then expand the
fractional part.  With long doubles, it gives the 11 digits and a
couple more digits of accuracy.  Not as much fun or reliable as LISP!