[PLUG-TALK] Advice Please - Transfer of Domain apparently locked by FS/Register.com

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Mon Mar 6 02:09:11 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, plug at hackhawk.net wrote:
>
> >Thanks in Advance for any help
>
> Rich
>
>   I'm not a computer professional, so my answer may be well wide from the
> mark.

You are correct.  His problem is rooted (bad pun) here:

Ask whois how the domain is registered:

  Registrant:
         Wanda Nicholas  (WandaNicholas _a_ cs.com)
  Domain Name: disabledartistsnetwork.net

  Technical Contact:
         Richard Powell  (srsplus _a_ opriver.com)

   Domain servers:
        ns1-hosts.srsplus.com
        ns2-hosts.srsplus.com

Ask one of the domain servers for information:
(trimmed for brevity)

  mikeraz at berry: dig @ns1-hosts.srsplus.com DisabledArtistsNetwork.net SOA

  ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @ns1-hosts.srsplus.com DisabledArtistsNetwork.net SOA
  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;DisabledArtistsNetwork.net.    IN      SOA
  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  DisabledArtistsNetwork.net. 3600 IN     SOA     ns1-hosts.srsplus.com. hostmaster.srsplus.com. 1141580064 10800 3600 604800 86400

This is good.  The name server listed by whois knows about the domain.

Ask one of the DNS root servers the same question, you should get an
answer that directs you to the name server listed by whois.  This is
important because when any random DNS server needs to find an address
it asks the DNS root servers where to go look for the answer.

  mikeraz at berry: dig @d.gtld-SERVERS.NET. DisabledArtistsNetwork.net ns

  ; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> @d.gtld-SERVERS.NET. DisabledArtistsNetwork.net ns
  ;; QUESTION SECTION:
  ;DisabledArtistsNetwork.net.    IN      NS

  ;; ANSWER SECTION:
  DisabledArtistsNetwork.net. 172800 IN   NS      ns3.freeservers.com.
  DisabledArtistsNetwork.net. 172800 IN   NS      ns4.freeservers.com.

Uh-Oh, the root servers point you to freeservers.com.  Bad news for
Wanda and the DisabledArtistsNetwork.net.

And that is what the original poster was asking about.  They've done
the process to transfer the domain, but freeservers.com (it seems)
has not performed the task they need to that will allow the root DNS
servers to recognize srsplus.com servers as being the legitimate source
of information for DiabledArtistsNetwork.net

Or at least that's how Richard describes it.  There is a place to register
complaints for inaction like this, but I don't recall what the process is.

<RANT>
Free net services give me the willies.  The provider needs to get something
to recover the cost of providing the service and this is usually injecting ads
into you a) website, b) email, c) your browser session.   That or they're
monitoring your net habits to sell your profile.

They make it "easy" so you'll be lulled into accepting the tradeoff. Part of
making it "easy" is to limit your choices so you're not "confused" which is
sorta like providing you with a free car that has a driving range of 8 miles
and a top speed of 12 mph.

Then one of these scenarios plays out:
  - they go out of business and what you depend on is suddenly gone
  - they change your business model and you're faced with a short time to make
    a change or pay up
  - you decide to make a change for whatever reason and it is a huge PITA to
    extract yourself from their clutches.
  - you get all sorts of remarkable offers for products tailored to your
    "interests"

People need to cultivate geek friends, or trust their geek siblings, to take
care of geek needs and stay out of the clutches of these providers.

You're all aware that I use an email address at patch.com - and I have since
March 1, 1994.  Free service providers carry too high a cost for me to entrust
them with my computing needs.

</RANT>

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon