[PLUG-TALK] Re: [PLUG] Dumb DNS Question? (port 25 filtering)

Andrew Becherer shadygrove at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 23:20:41 PST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:34 PM, Russ Johnson wrote:
> Regardless of wether anyone thinks your boss should or should not
> be able to read every byte on your work provided PC, email is not,
> has never been, and should not be private.

I would appreciate a little clarification on this point. I must have
missed the memo where we were told that electronic communication has
never been and should never be private. Do we have any reasonable
expectation of privacy at this point in the game? How is delivering a
message in person inside a locked box any different than sending an
electronic communication using the strongest cipher possible with the
longest key possible?

> Every bit I send from my PC gets archived on some other computer
> somewhere on the net. The strongest encyption out there can be
> broken, given enough cpu cycles. It's a losing battle.

Are you telling me there is an entity that will store my encrypted
communications until such time as either software or hardware has
developed to the point that it can be decrypted only to find that I
was using AES or Blowfish to protect a grocery list I sent to my
roommate?

Did I miss the news break where some genius found a method a
efficiently factoring really large numbers? I am aware that given an
unlimited number of CPU cycles any encryption can be broken. I'm
still living in a world where we are bound by the limits of current
CPU technology. No one, that we know of, has "enough CPU cycles" to
break the strongest commonly available encryption. This could change
tomorrow with the advent of quantum computing or algorithms for the
efficient factoring of really large numbers but the sky has not yet
fallen. I'm going to keep encrypting the transmission of
communications that require privacy and I suggest others do likewise.

Andrew Becherer
Undergraduate, Computing and Software Systems
University of Washington, Tacoma