[PLUG-TALK] 8-point roll story

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Mar 8 12:41:07 PST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 11:52:21AM -0800, Russell Senior wrote:

> I might be thinking of the MD80, which "might" be referred to in some
> circles as a Dash 80.  In the mid-1970's I had a geeky Janes
> Pocketbook of Commercial Aircraft and memorized the entire worldwide
> inventory.  Out of date nowadays, though.

Silly fellow.  The Dash 80 was actually a prototype version of the
first Intel 8080.  Intel hired a cooling fan engineer away from
Boeing, and he went *way* overboard.  Delayed the introduction of
microprocessors by 10 years; they fell back on semiconductor RAMs to
save the company.  The old slogan "Intel Inside" was actually a veiled
reference to this fiasco - never again would they build a device
that had to be used *outside*.

Too bad.  Most Itanium server cabinets will not properly execute
either an 8 point roll or a barrel roll, much as they might deserve
to.  At least the fans have enough takeoff thrust.

Er, uh, :-)