[PLUG-TALK] Tooth brushing in airports

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 13 02:08:07 UTC 2006

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 07:25:15PM -0800, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Around 3:00 or 4:00 AM local time I couldn't take the taste in my
> mouth and stumbled off to brush my teeth.

Be very careful with toothbrushing using foreign tap water you don't
know about!  Japan is fine, but other parts of Asia can have microbes
in the water that can make you ill.  Even at the airport!  About all
you can trust is bottled water with tamperproof caps.  CocaCola has
bottling plants on every corner of the planet, and in they also bottle
water in those plants.  They are *very* serious about protecting their
trademark, so even though they are an Evil Multinational Corporation,
the water they bottle is safe to drink.  If the tamperproof caps are
intact, it probably hasn't been refilled at the village well.

On a trip in rural Thailand five years ago, my wife came down with a
bug (probably from the water) and spent a few days on penicillin.
Fortunately, she is a doctor and could get the dosage right, and
major brand penicillin is over-the-counter and cheap in Thailand.
Bottled water (Nam Pla) ONLY after that.