[PLUG-TALK] in the water

Michael Rasmussen mikeraz at patch.com
Tue Mar 14 00:41:32 PST 2006

Yes, in the tropics where you lounge in the water but only drink it if it comes
from a sealed bottle.

Clear, sunny, in the 90s.  We've had meals in two private homes so far (black rice
pudding and grilled calamari!!)

You know how outrageous the prices are in hotel room mini-bars?  Try $1.00 for a
beer and 40 cents for a soft drink.  We sent out some laundry today, expecting
that it will cost 5 cents each for the large items (like my pants) and 2.5 cents
for small items.

Everywhere a tourist goes vendors appear with stuff to sell.  The 10 year old
girls with necklaces and bracelets for 50 cents each kept asking and asking and
asking and asking.  American car and insurance salesmen would learn of persistance
from these kids.  Only when I said (phonetic) Tea-dock (local for NO) did they
stop.

poolside drink is coconut straight from one cut from the tree that is also poolside.

Remember when a bomb went off in a Bali nightclub in 2002?  Tourism is still down
due to that.  We are in a wonderful hotel and they are 1/4 full.

Tomorrow:  snorkling with the trip to the reef in an outrigger dugout canoe.

Special food treat:  toss up, durian, which smells like rotting flesh, but the
fruit is a savory treat or the freshly prepared chilis that are fiery and
flavorful.

time for a nap.

Hope it's quit snowing in Oregon.

Internet access here at the hotel:  30 cents an hour.

--
   Michael Rasmussen, Portland, Ore, USA
  Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity