[PLUG-TALK] How many laptop batteries does the TSA permit?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Oct 20 09:28:41 PDT 2006

On Fri, 20 Oct 2006, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> After three failures of those impressive-looking N-charge external laptop
> batteries, I've decided to just carry spares of the specific batteries
> that go in the laptop.  On the (silly) assumption that the rules will not
> be changing for a while, does anybody know how many spare batteries TSA
> permits travellers to carry onboard under the present rules?

Keith,

   Explicitly, no. However, I carry my N-charge battery (still working after
all these years) on all my trips, and leave it in my portable office (the
carry-on case) as it goes through the x-ray machine. Not once have I been
questioned on it.

   I suspect that this is a question that's better not asked of them.

   How many do you need to get you through a flight?

   BTW, this is certainly the most germane question asked on this list,
considering the tag line associated with it. Some airlines are banning
portable computer batteries because some have a history of being quite
flammable. :-)