[PLUG-TALK] Make your own warning labels

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Wed Sep 13 23:00:48 UTC 2006

>>> http://www.warninglabelgenerator.com/

>>  Thanks, that's kind of fun, but what's up with the Star of David
>> on that list of symbols?  I can't really think of any of the labels
>> ("Warning", "Caution", "Danger", "Think", "Safety First", "Be
>> Careful", "Notice", "Security Notice") that wouldn't be considered
>> at least slightly anti-semitic with a Star of David on them.

Jeme> First, it's pretty reasonable to put a logo on a warning label
Jeme> that attracts the attention of the people that you want to read
Jeme> the label.  So, "Warning: Contents Hate Jews" could very well
Jeme> have that particular star on the outside and be completely
Jeme> reasonable.

[Note: I haven't looked at the warning label generator samples]

These days, it is certainly also possible that the Star of David was
intended to represent Israel rather than Jews in general, which are
overlapping but not identical sets.  It is certainly possible to see
the State of Israel as an egregiously destructive, even
self-destructive collection of people without having the slightest
hostile feeling for Jews in general.

I object to criticism of Israel (or even its legitimacy as a State)
being misinterpretted as and conflated with hatred of Jews, in what
seems (to a neutral outsider) an intentional attempt to deflect the
criticism.

seniorr at aracnet.com