[PLUG-TALK] Incoming War Dialing

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Apr 19 15:03:56 UTC 2007

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> ... and will let them talk to the fax machine for a while.

Keith,

   This brings up an issue for which I have not found a working solution: fax
spam.

   Unsolicitied snail mail, telemarketers (who call despite all our numbers
registered on the D0 NOT CALL list), and email spam are all effectively
controlled. I toss unwanted mail solicitations directly in the recycling
container, hang up on the telemarketers, and have highly effective unwanted email
filters. But, despite fax.com being shut down, I have not found a solution
to the unwanted junk faxes.

   What I do is keep the fax machine turned off. On the rare occasions when
someone tries to send a legitimate fax and cannot get through, he calls on
the voice line and I turn on the machine.

   Every day, about 9:30 am, I get a call on the fax line. Sometimes it rolls
over to voice mail (where I hear the attempted handshaking), sometimes it
doesn't. Earlier this week I forgot to turn off the machine after receiving
a legitimate fax, and sure enough the Florida vacation offer came through
the following morning.

   What do you do to reject fax spam?