[PLUG-TALK] Michael Dell runs ...

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 16:50:54 UTC 2007

On 4/20/07, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Apr 2007, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>
> > Michael Dell, yes that Dell, runs what on his personal laptop?
>
>    I wonder if his Precision M90 "portable" workstation comes with a pair of
> wheels and a pull-out handle. "Starting weight" is 8.6 pounds. I'd hate to
> lug that through airports, convention halls, and meeting rooms.

...which is probably why he has a Latitude D420 (running Vista
Ultimate) and a Dell XPS M1710 (also running Vista ultimate).  While
at home, of courses, the M90 is probably a bit cramped, so he's free
to use the Dell XPSTM 710 H2C (running, yeah. Vista Ultimate) and
driving two 30" flat panels.

I'm also willing to bet he doesn't take the M90 to work, because, if I
were him, I'd prefer the nice familiarity of the two 30" ldcs attached
to his Vista Ultimate-running Dell Precision 690.

At least the M90 is also running VMware workstation 6, so should the
other 4 machines fail, Vista Ultimate can be booted up (even if it
does require a WinXP VM, running Virtual PC to get Vista to work under
VMware).

Perhaps I'm a bit cynical, the M90 *is* the first computer on the
list, after all.  I'm sure the fact that it's the only machine running
Linux, the heaviest portable, and completely dwarfed by the desktops
it would "replace" has no impact on which machines he actually uses.

Nice publicity stunt, but let's not get carried away...

--Rogan