[PLUG-TALK] linux vs windows : google foo

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu Apr 26 18:39:04 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Richard Powell wrote:

> I owe it to our company to at least investigate the possibility of
> migrating to Linux on the desktop for 90% of the users here.  All
> they do is telnet and web for the most part.
>
> In doing the following google searches, the articles I'm finding are
> well over 2 years old, and 4 years old in some cases.  I would have
> thought this issue would be a hot topic considering the release of
> Vista.
>
>     windows vs linux considerations tco
>     windows vs linux tco

I'd suggest you step back for a moment. For your users, the primary
issue is probably applications and desktop environment, not operating
system. So ...

1. What are the current applications crucial to your users? What are
    the applications you'd recommend they run after the migration?
    What are the relative strengths and weaknesses of the new apps
    vis-a-vis the old? Consider both local/desktop applications and
    and server-side applications. Consider also any user-installed
    software you allow on your machines (e.g., for synchronizing with
    phones or PDAs). If Web apps are important, does the browser
    you'd recommend run them correctly?

2. What are the crucial features of their current desktop environment?
    Important desktop features might be drag-and-drop, menu clarity
    and customization, automatic recognition of USB devices, or a nice
    file manager. How does the replacement desktop you'd recommend
    compare on features your users think are important?

3. Behind the scenes, who handles your current IT needs? Can those
    staff members make the transition? Can their budget also handle
    the transition?

4. In general -- and this is a very subjective thing -- how do you
    think your users will react to the transition in terms of things
    like morale and productivity?

5. How long will the transition take? What is the labor cost (IT time,
    user training, dealing with external vendors)? Is that cost
    reasonable when compared to the costs you project for migrating
    to Vista?

The operating system is of little importance to most people.
Applications and desktop environment are the key issues. Focus on
those, and throw out the whole "Windows vs. Linux" mindset.