[PLUG-TALK] linux vs windows : google foo

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Apr 27 00:02:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Richard Powell wrote:

>> I don't know what a Vista migration will cost in terms of category
>> #1 for your company, because I don't know your current hardware
>> inventory or software needs.
>
> Unfortunately, about half of our computers only have 256MB of RAM,
> and the other half have 512MB of RAM.  They barely function with XP
> as it is. From my perspecitive, every single computer needs an
> upgrade to 1GB to be Vista ready.

My wife's computer is a mid-range P-III with 256 MB RAM running Debian
sarge. It works, but no one will accuse it of being a speed demon. I'd
certainly agree with 1 GB for Vista, but 256 MB is cutting pretty
close even for a Linux desktop workstation, unless you use a
lightweight windowing manager and remove things like Flash.

>> I'd contend, however, that costs #2 and #3 are usually larger,
>> albeit hidden and spread over a longer period of time.
>
> So, you're of the opinion that Linux, in general, is less cost
> effective over time than Windows?  If in reality this is fact, then
> the answer of TCO is straight forward.  Linux "usually" costs more
> over time.

What I meant to say is that *any* OS has labor expenses attached to
it. In some environments (people + applications), Linux will have a
large ongoing cost. In others, the transition will be less expensive
and will easily justify avoiding the cost of, say, Vista. The devil's
in the details...

> One leading factor that I can't ignore is that the majority of our
> computers basically serve as souped up dumb terminals.  They support
> telnet, web browsing, file sharing, and printing.  If there were a
> ton of 3rd party applications on them, I probably wouldn't be
> considering it as seriously as I am.

... and given those details, it sounds like your place would be ideal
for Linux. All of those applications (telnet, ... printing) are well
supported in Linux and migration shouldn't be terribly difficult.

Plus, once Linux is installed, you'll probably find it *much* easier
to maintain them. ssh + (yum|aptitude) == my best friend. :-)

>> You'll probably spend quite a bit of time devising and implementing
>> a way to standardize and maintain configuration files.
>
> This is one of the area's that I was hoping to draw upon the
> experience of others.  Hopefully someone has had to deal with this
> already.

There are many paths up that mountain. A good guide will point the
way, but you've still got to make the climb yourself to implement
things on your systems.