[PLUG-TALK] linux vs windows : google foo

Richard Powell plug at hackhawk.net
Sun Apr 29 18:21:02 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-28 at 09:42 -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:
> Richard Powell wrote:
> > My only dilemma appears to be that if I choose to look at using thin
> > clients, is how do I define different workstation names if all the
> > clients are loading the same/identical copy of the OS?
>
> Why do you care about workstation names?  With a thin client setup,
> the client is basically a dumb terminal with graphics(X11) support.
> All applications are run on the server.

Thanks for the DHCP reference.  It is my assumption that each computer
that is part of a windows network needs to have a unique name.  Hmmm...
Maybe the computers don't necessarily *need* to be part of the Windows
Network?   I just assumed they would be part of the windows network.
Now I'm wondering if that's a necessity in order to have users login
using AD.  I guess not really, because I'm sure that pam_winbind just
authenticates against AD, and AD doesn't actively check the computer
name against the network before authenticating a user.

cool
thanks
Richard