[PLUG-TALK] Wireless Card Connects, No IP Address Granted

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 13 15:18:18 UTC 2007

On Sat, 11 Aug 2007, Paul Mullen wrote:

> You can also configure different "logical interfaces" in
> /etc/network/interfaces and use them directly. E.g.:
>
>  iface wpsu inet dhcp
>    wireless_essid pubnet.pdx.edu

   It has never been a problem to let the local server create the DNS
addresses in /etc/resolv.conf. As I travel, the contents of that file change
and when I return I restore the local version from a saved file.

   What puzzles me are why an IP address could not be obtained when there are
connections between the wireless card and the cells, and what tools are
available to diagnose and fix this problem if it arises in the future.