[PLUG-TALK] Analog vs. Digital Video

Michael M. mcubed at slashmail.org
Thu Aug 16 11:49:32 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-08-15 at 16:08 -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> Galen> 3. If you are already getting a good display using the analog
> Galen> connection, you might want to defer buying a cable. [...]
>
> Yeah, that's me.  The digital output from the my video card doesn't
> match the cable that came with my Samsung 204T.  However, even on
> analog it still looks great!  Even the m's.  Maybe digital would be
> better, but I have no complaints and until I see some superior
> digitally-driven display, I will live on in blissful ignorance.

When I set up this PC over a year ago, I unthinkingly used the analog
cable instead of the digital cable.  My PC/monitor arrived with both,
and in my rush to assemble I just kinda grabbed the first thing I saw.
Later, I realized my mistake, but the analog output has been so good I
haven't felt the need to change.  I haven't had any of the issues
described (artifacts, blurring, etc.).  I take it on faith that the DVI
connection would somehow be "better," but honestly I can't see how.

Anyway, I am going to get a third internal HD soon and reinstall using
LVM this time, which I now wish I'd done in the first place.  So I guess
I'll take that opportunity to try out the digital cable.

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions