[PLUG-TALK] Locking the Task Bar

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Aug 21 23:54:40 UTC 2007

One of the convenience features of a window style user interface is the
ability to move the task bar from the bottom to either side or the top
of the screen. While intended as a feature, it is an annoyance to some
folks. This is not a problem for most of us, but it is a problem for
some folks who grew up before there was TV. From time to time, I've had
to figure out (over the phone) that in dragging the mouse they managed
to grab the top edge of the task bar, and either hid it, or moved it.
Once I figure it out, it's usually not too hard to talk them through
putting it back.

Does the concept of locking the task bar exist in either Linux or
Windows? Most of the folks I have to support are still using Win98
machines, so that's where I need the specific answer. But eventually, I
expect those machines to be replaced, and some of those will be Linux
machines.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens