[PLUG-TALK] Treo 700p Question

Jason Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 17:39:36 UTC 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 9:19 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Dec 2007, Jason Martin wrote:
>
> > Isn't that what the phone should do when you're in a phone call?  You are
> > effectively sending tones to the directory service, which is interpreting
> > them as "letters".  I don't think you can send actual letters over POTS.
>
> Jason,
>
>   No, characters aren't sent, but I thought that I'd see them in the display
> as the tones were transmitted. For example, how would the phone know to send
> the tone for 'e' rather than for '1' when I press that key, or 'c' rather
> than '8'? I've tried using the 'Treo key' before pressing the letter key but
> that does not seem to make a difference.

Rich -

Sorry, I'll try to be more clear.  POTS only supports tones that
represent numbers, so the directory service is only receiving numbers.
 Likely the service has "hashed" the names into the representative
numbers, so for example "Shephard" would be represented as "74374273".
 There are no tones that represent actual individual letters, and most
tones are actually mapped to 3-4 letters.

Jason