[PLUG-TALK] Hardware Question

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Tue Jan 30 17:04:41 UTC 2007

   We had the battery out of the ThinkPad 600E for a couple of days while
running the laptop on the AC mains. This was a recommendation from someone
on the 'Net who suggested it was better for battery life.

   Well, last evening we tried firing it up and there's no display. I can see
weak presentation if I press a couple of the function keys, but that's a
transient event.

   Could this be related to the battery not being present? If so, would it
take more than 8-10 hours for the battery to recharge and allow the display
to return?

   I suspect that the display just picked this time to die. I'll drag out the
old 15" CRT and see if I get a display that way.

   Looks like time for a visit to Free Geeks. Might they have a replacement
screen, or should I look for an inexpensive replacement? The laptop is used
primarily for e-mail and web browsing with the occasional short OO.o doc
thrown in for variety.

   Ideas and suggestions welcome.