[PLUG-TALK] Where to find legit used copy of M$ Visual C 4.0?

Larry Brigman larry.brigman at gmail.com
Sat Jul 7 22:44:50 UTC 2007

On 7/7/07, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> A few years ago, I ditched all my copies of Microsoft compilers and
> tools.  Now, as the first step in migrating a large program suite
> to GNU C++ on windows and then to Linux, I need to find a copy of
> M$ Visual C++ 4.0, the environment the app was written for.  Does
> anyone have a copy (with key AND license) that they are willing to
> sell to me?  I don't want to bend any laws or legitimate license
> restrictions, so I want a bona fide copy with the original disks.
> With luck, in a few months the software will be ported and I won't
> be needing M$ again.

There is another way.  An MSDN account.  This allows you to download,
install and
use old programs that are no longer available.  If you have a newer
version (any paid version)
of the Visual tools suite, an MSDN account gets you where you want to be.  I had
to do this several years ago when I was in the same boat.  We had
Visual Studio 6 and
a company MSDN account that we used to download the Visual C++ 4.0 get the job
done.