[PLUG-TALK] electronics problem

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Tue Jul 10 23:04:53 UTC 2007

I've got one of those Oregon Scientific cable free indoor/outdoor
thermometer.  I want to log data from it on a linux box.  I would just
buy one of their silly receivers with a data cable, but when I
inquired a while back about the protocol I was told "it is
proprietary", so I'd rather not give them any more of my money.

This afternoon, I got curious and opened the case.  There are three
circuit boards: a) a 433 MHz radio receiver board; b) a small board
with button switches; and c) a larger "main" board that controls the
lcd.

With Galen's oscilloscope, I determined which of the three wires
running between board (a) and (c) was the data cable (the others are
ground and power, which only comes up for 5 seconds out of each 30
second duty cycle).

I have tacked on a short run of wires onto the data line and ground so
that I could reassemble the case.

So, on the oscilloscope, I see the receiver device come up and then
start spraying data out, about 1.5V peak-to-peak TTL-like), at
something approximately 8kHz.  I am now wondering what might be the
most expeditious way to read that data.  Is it likely to be something
that my usb-serial console cable (ttl 3.3v) or something like it,
could work?

Thanks!

seniorr at aracnet.com