[PLUG-TALK] Open Source Community for Windoze

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jul 13 18:49:58 UTC 2007

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> As I work on porting a Windoze app, I am continually reminded of why I
> like the Linux community.  :-/

   It's our smiling faces, no doubt.

> Is there an open source community, set of mailing lists, books, websites,
> FAQs, etc. for open source developers that build standalone non-Cygwin
> apps for Windows?

   Many. The wxPython mail list (see www.wxpython.org) has _many_ winduhs
developers, and so does the NumPy/SciPy/MatPlotLib group. There are
PostgreSQL and SQLite developers who are writing for Microsoft's OSes, too.
I believe that both LyX (typesetting) and GRASS (spatial analyses) have
winduhs ports that do not require cygwin. But, since I don't use any of
those in that environment I may well be mistaken.