[PLUG-TALK] Oversize 2.5" Hard Drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jul 19 22:24:48 UTC 2007

   I replaced the IBM Travelstore 10G, 5400RPM hard drive in the ThinkPad
600E with a Hitachi 80G, 7400RPM drive. When I tried to put the IBM drive in
an enclosure sold for 2.5" IDE hard drives, it would not fit: too wide. It
measures closer to 2.75" wide. Is this a fairly common situation? Are there
enclosure brands that are larger than others?

   I'm not looking forward to driving all the way back to Fry's to return the
enclosure unless I know that there are ones made into which this wider drive
will fit.