[PLUG-TALK] Volunteer opportunity: Intel NWSE Fair Competitions

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 5 04:46:35 UTC 2007

Pushing science fairs again.  Haven't seen any pluggers there yet.
You are really missing something.

Judging a science fair is lots of fun.  The intensity is hard to
describe.  Most of the kids are enthusiastic about their work, and
eager to learn what you think about it.  The work is often flawed,
but the kids want to learn to do it right, and if presented with
sympathy and encouragement, your feedback will be treasured.  The
kids will make you feel very welcome, and it is a great feeling.

The fairs usually have enough judges for computer science and
electrical engineering (sponsored by Intel - duh!), but they are
usually lacking judges for the sciences and medicine.  If you know
something besides programming, or if you know something about the
scientific method and are willing to learn from a teenager, adult
experience and feedback is what these kids are looking for.

My wife and I are signed up - I hope they can find many more judges,
because it is better for each judge to spend more time with fewer
projects.  10 projects shared among 2 or more judges is a pleasant
pace; they should have more than 100 judges for that.

So if you can take Friday the 16th off from work (ask your boss,
s/he might be enthusiastic to about giving you a day for this),
sign up at the nwse.org website, and plan on having the time of
your life!  Please share this with other friends and coworkers;
they will thank you for the experience.

Keith