[PLUG-TALK] Belated hello from the TideWater Unix User's Group, Norfolk, VA

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun May 6 15:32:12 UTC 2007

I am in Norfolk ("Nawfuk") Virginia for a niece's graduation.  The
Thursday I arrived was the monthly meeting for TWUUG, the TideWater
Unix User's Group.  About 25 fellows showed up;  I gave my dirvish
presentation.  The group is interestingly different than PLUG;  they
are more rigidly organized, their leader is late 30's, and most of
the members are older.  Much of the technical employment is naval
(this is the largest concentration of military in the country).
When they say "Computer Aided Design", they mean ships ...

The group has a strong BSD focus; the Linux distro of choice is
Mandriva.  They play with different virtualizers (virtualbox instead
of vmware and xen) and tweak on the beryl desktop.  Interesting that
Linux/Unix can be so regionalized ...