[PLUG-TALK] A Terabyte in the hand ...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon May 14 05:15:52 UTC 2007

Random chatter warning!

Setting up the new backup server, with three ( er, zap, two ) swappable
500GB disks.  Should take care of me for at least the next 18 months
of daily backups.

Two 500 GB disks fit nicely in one hand.  The first disk drive I
ever plunked down serious money for was a 600MB Seagate, full height
5 1/4", SCSI 2.  I had a steep discount, so it only set me back
$2000.00 in 1985 .

Now imagine if I had a time machine, and I brought some stock price
notes, these disks, a couple of ISA IDE controllers and some code
for software LBA48 back to 1985.

At $3300/MB, I could sell them for $3.3M (or more due to scarcity).
I take the money and invest in Apple (at $1.85), sell that in 1991
at share price $47.93 (for $85M), and buy 100 million shares of
Sun at $0.81 .  I sell that in September 2000 for $84.13 (for $8.8G).
 For charitable purposes, I buy a 10MT warhead from Kazakhstan for
$100M and give it to Osama Bin Laden (at high speed), and invest the
reminder in second round venture funding at Google (est internal
share price $20).  Sell off half my shares at IPO ($100) so there
is something to trade, (est $22G) and sell off the other half of
the shares in Nov 2006 at $500 (est $110G) .

I invest the $132G in time machine research.  The tiny remainder is
used to purchase some replacement 500GB drives.  Back to work ...