[PLUG-TALK] Comcast web space changes

John Sechrest sechrest at jas.peak.org
Wed Nov 7 02:16:34 UTC 2007

These Directories are common to people who are using microsoft
products to produce a website. They may be anticipating the tool that you
use to write web pages.

"Richard C. Steffens" <rsteff at comcast.net> writes:

 % Recently, Comcast made a big deal about upgrading the amount of space
 % available for users to put up web pages. Today I started a new Comcast
 % site and found a number of directories there that weren't present in
 % other Comcast sites I've built. Their names are:
 %
 % _private
 % _vti_bin
 % _vti_cnf
 % _vti_log
 % _vti_pvt
 % _vti_txt
 %
 % I tried to look at the ftp upload site for my other web site, but for
 % some reason, Konqueror (which is what I use for ftp) keeps sending me to
 % the new site, so I can't tell if those directories were added to my old
 % site, too.
 %
 % The names are somewhat self-explanatory, but not completely. Does anyone
 % know what they're for? Is this some indication that Comcast will start
 % supporting more advanced web design?
 %
 % --
 % Regards,