[PLUG-TALK] Comcast web space changes

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Wed Nov 7 21:33:59 UTC 2007

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, alan wrote:

> To make matters worse, if you are on Comcast, you share bandwidth
> with everyone on your block. If I have DSL that is 3mbs download,
> that is for my connection alone.  If you have the same with Comcast,
> the whole block you live on shares that chunk of bandwidth.

Are you intimating that Comcast limits an entire neighborhood to the
shared value of the slowest customer's bandwidth? That's what it
sounds like, and it's rubbish.

For broadband accounts, the slow part of your connection (or I should
say, the bottleneck that will give you less bandwidth than your
account promises) is almost always the intersection between your
provider's network and the wider Internet. My understanding is that he
home-ISP connection is rarely the culprit.

> Just to show how out of date they are...
>
> They just added support for Frontpage, a technology that has been
> obsolete since at least the year 2000. Next they might allow you to
> use Perl 5.005.

For me, I'd restate that: Comcast was able to forestall the
Frontpage-using unwashed masses for over half a decade!