[PLUG-TALK] Comcast web space changes

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Mon Nov 12 11:38:18 UTC 2007

>> My understanding was that all comcast traffic for the block was
>> handled through a single pipe. How big that pipe is, I do not know.

russj> Um, you do realize that the only real difference is where the
russj> shared pipe is, don't you? It's either out on the pole, or in
russj> the CO. The DSLAM would typically aggragate the connections
russj> that go through it, and then that connection is further shared
russj> when multiple DSLAMs are in use.

russj> The argument is irrelavent, since the entire internet is a
russj> shared medium.

I don't have the data to prove superiority of one over another, but
I'll argue that it *could* matter where the medium sharing occurs.
The basic outline of the argument is that it is less expensive, and
thus more likely to occur, to increase capacity closer to the trunk
than it is closer to the leaves.

For me, the argument is moot, since comcast doesn't provide the
freedom I want.  I am stuck on 7 Mbps DSL until open-access FTTP rides
in wearing glintingly shiny armor on a splendid white horse.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net