[PLUG-TALK] Cell Phone Battery Life

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Thu Nov 15 18:08:02 UTC 2007

I have a Motorola RAZR that I bought back in the spring of 2006. I can
usually go all day on a single charge, assuming 3 or 4 calls with a
duration of 3-5 minutes each. If I make or get no calls, I can even go
two days on one charge. I'm still on the original battery.

I've had two experiences lately that raise a question. Does the phone
vary the power of its transmitter depending on the proximity to a cell
tower?

A few Saturdays ago we went up to Mt. St. Helens. I started the day with
a fully charged phone battery. We made one call from there that lasted
about 5 minutes. Sometime in the mid afternoon I discovered that the
battery was down to one bar.

Yesterday I was down in Mulino. I wouldn't have thought of that as a
remote location, but maybe it is relative to cell towers. At any rate, I
had the same experience: started the day with a fully charged battery;
discovered mid-afternoon that I was down to no battery bars.

In each case, the phone happily took a full charge in about 1/2 hour (I
think).

Any thoughts?

--
Regards,