[PLUG-TALK] Cell Phone Battery Life

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Nov 15 19:54:20 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Something to keep in mind if you're headed to the boonies and are counting
> on your phone to bail you out.

   The problem is how 'boonies' is defined. Several years ago my rental car
slid off the side of a muddy road into a hub-deep ditch. This was 45 miles
northeast of Lovelock, NV. Cell phone coverage extends no more than 4 miles
either side of I-80. Seven hours and 14 miles later the single vehicle to
travel that road (other than the assay truck whom I had passed going the
other way hours before) stopped and gave me a ride back to Lovelock. That's
why I carry the satellite phone -- fully charged -- and my little GPS
receiver every time my travels are scheduled off an Interstate highway.
There are even cell phone dead spots on US 30 going over Mt. Hood.

   If I ever get stuck again, I call the local sheriff's office, give them my
geographic location, and ask them to come get me. With a sandwich annd
6-pack, of course. I'll wait with the vehicle. The satellite phone has no
distrance limitations.