[PLUG-TALK] Kindle, Smolder, Die Out?

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Wed Nov 21 18:48:34 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 06:51:28AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

> I am appalled that anyone would propose such restrictions on the
> expression of ideas, and that people would voluntarily agree to such
> restrictions.

You're new here, aren't you? The publishing industry in many ways is
worse than the recording industry when it comes to recognizing that
their old business model just isn't going to last much longer. Recall
the spectacle of Google Books and the Association of American
Publishers, the Authors Guild, etc.

As for people voluntarily submitting to such nonsense... The
insane need to express exclusive control over what is fundamentally
un-ownable (information, ideas, their expression) appears to be
an upward trend these days.

> I hope my misgivings are misplaced, but if not all I can write is
> 'how terribly sad.'

Indeed.

--
Paul