[PLUG-TALK] Kindle, Smolder, Die Out?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at cesmail.net
Wed Nov 21 19:42:12 UTC 2007

Rich Shepard wrote:
>    I've not paid attention to the buzz about Amazon's 'kindle,' but this
> article caught my eye:
>
>       <http://diveintomark.org/archives/2007/11/19/the-future-of-reading>
>
>    I am appalled that anyone would propose such restrictions on the
> expression of ideas, and that people would voluntarily agree to such
> restrictions. I hope my misgivings are misplaced, but if not all I can write
> is 'how terribly sad.'
>
> Rich

I have a different problem with Kindle. I refuse to pay $200 -- $400 for
a special-purpose computer that can only do *one* thing (read books,
play media, communicate wirelessly via text or voice, etc.) when I can
buy a *whole* laptop for $500 that can do *all* of them with open source
software, can solve scientific and business problems, has a usable
keyboard and pointing device, and allows me to *create* media, *author*
books, *and* run Windows! :)

OK ... I lied about wanting to run Windows. :)