[PLUG-TALK] The Keith Effect - Lightbulb factories closing

Jeme A Brelin jeme at brelin.net
Fri Oct 5 22:48:59 UTC 2007

On Fri, 5 Oct 2007, alan wrote:
>> If cars ran on nothing, they'd still be ecologically catastrophic.
>
> As are bikes and every other form of transportation.

Uh, what?

I'm referring specifically to the paving of arable land, the leap-frog
development that cars support and encourage, and the space they consume as
people haul a minimobilehome around with them everywhere they go (and
driving around in tanks of steel at high speed is certainly a hazard to
all kinds of living things that want to move around nearby).

Isn't walking a form of transportation?

What's your argument, Alan?

And in addition to the way automobiles treat the land, there's the added
social and physical deterioration they cause.  Driving isolates people
from one another while they move about their days and encourages
consumption leading to obesity as well as general laziness and apathy.

J.