[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Joe Jobbed

Ronald Chmara ron at Opus1.COM
Mon Oct 8 01:36:44 UTC 2007

On Oct 7, 2007, at 11:42 AM, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> Ed Sawicki wrote:
>> It's not nearly impossible. I do it regularly. You just have to
>> know what parts of the filesystem are off limits to you because
>> the distribution's package management "owns" that space. You _do_
>> have to pay attention to, for example, which TCP and UDP ports
>> daemons use, system startup weirdness, and more.
>
> 1. Moving to PLUG-TALK
>
> 2. You were right the first time -- unless you "know what you're
> doing"
> it's easy to mess up your system. The problem is I *did* know what
> I was
> doing and I *still* messed up my system. In other words, don't waste
> your time and run the risks, even if you *do* know what you're doing.

It takes a few rounds. I'd guess */lib/, init scripts, lockfiles (/
var/run/foo/), shutting off updates (for the package), chkconfig ...

....what wall did you run in to?

I don't want to be rude, so I will say that some folks know how to
replace their package management systems with source compiles, and
others, don't.

And (maybe a more important metric) *when* is it a waste of time? 2
hours? 2 days? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years?

> Let's see ... Steve Jobs ... Steve Ballmer ... Mark Shuttlesworth ...
> locked up in a room together ... only one comes out alive ...
> gentlemen,
> place your bets ... :)

Ballmer comes out alive, totally dedicated to buying Apple products,
and mauling those who disagree with him, after Steve casts a
permanent +20 distortion field upon Ballmer (shortly before Steve is
beaten to death by a chair).

-Bop