[PLUG-TALK] Local Professional Photo Labs?

Alex alexlinux at qwest.net
Mon Oct 8 04:57:55 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 17:24 -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:

> Brent Rieck wrote:
> > Russell Senior wrote:
> > The whole "illuminate, focus, and increment through the tray" seems like
> > the easy part to me.  Making the scanning apparatus fit into a lens
> > barrel form factor seems like the difficult and/or expensive part, I'd
> > be curious to know if a manufacturer has tried.
>
> Beyond that you have the problem of the contrast range (backlit slides)
> overwhelming the range of the recording device.  While in college I attempted
> to dupe negatives by using a 1:1 macro lens equipped camera focused on the
> negative mounted in my enlarger.  Dismal failure.
>
> Russel, how about putting your digital camera right above the lens of the
> slide projector and photographing the projected image on the screen/wall?
> The pallalax distortion would be minor.  With a long enough projection it
> might even become insignificant.   The brightness range of the reflected
> image would be easier to capture.

I think the whole exercise here is to make the procedure as automatic as
possible. Most digital cameras I'm familiar with would only allow a shot
to be taken every 30 seconds if you set them up for time lapse. Walk
away and let it run until done. What I think would work better is to put
the scanner in place of the lens/lamp assembly and write/rewrite the
software to allow unattended continuous scanning with auto-naming and
saving. That is what Russel is looking for.
--
Alex <alexlinux at qwest.net>