[PLUG-TALK] SATA - was: Hard Drive Cables

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Oct 25 22:18:29 UTC 2007

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> I am a newbie to SATA myself.  I think the connector order influences
> which drive becomes sda/sdb/...

   The SATA cd/dvd-read/write/rewrite/whatever drive is installed and
connected to the SATA3 socket on the motherboard. But, when I put a cdrom
disk in there and try to mount it to /mnt/cdrw, I'm told that 'special
device /dev/sdX does not exist.' The 'X' can be a, b, c, or d.

   Anyone know how I identify the device to which the drive is attached?

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)