[PLUG-TALK] Probable New Linux User Needs 'Net Access

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Oct 26 17:54:16 UTC 2007

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich>    These are excellent suggestions, Russell. I'll wait until he
Rich> gets a new system, then he can decide how best to go for a WiFi
Rich> connection.

Russell> You are of course at the mercy of whoever owns the access
Russell> point.  If they unplug it or move it into a less favorable
Russell> place, you are SOL.

Rich>    True. I'm curious if there might be other APs within
Rich> range. My little detector may be able to help determine if there
Rich> are any others.

My recollection of the area is that it is covered with trees (bad) and
the residential density is fairly low (bad).  Also, if he can't get
DSL, then it is more probable that his neighbors can't either (bad).
Lack of broadband availability is spatially correlated.

Rich>    I wonder how many old Portland neighborhoods have the same
Rich> issues of very poor telephone lines, no DSL, and other 'Net
Rich> connectivity issues.

Lots.  St Johns can't get DSL at all.  That was part of what was
behind the Unwire Portland plan, to provide lower-cost broadband
access.  It's a shame that it hasn't worked better, but with wifi, it
was always going to be a big gamble.  The City did a good job of
isolating itself from the financial risk.  But as I have mentioned to
at least a few of you, there is an upcoming City of Portland driven
opportunity to make this immensely better, with an open access
fiber-to-the-premises network in Portland, modelled roughly on this:

  <http://www.utopianet.org/>

I really like the idea of buying private services over public
infrastructure, funded by rate payers, not tax payers, like the water
bureau is financed.  It would be very cool to pay a low
(cost-recovery) fee for fiber-to-a-peering-location and then
interconnect with whoever you like for an additional fee or not as you
consentually agree.  Local ISPs, people who need to interconnect
offices, etc, should really love this.

They are still working on the idea and it is still unclear how the
City effort will turn out and what form it will take. Incumbent
carriers are going to positively hate the idea of anything they don't
control so you can expect lots of noise and hostility, but I think we
are fast approaching an amazing opportunity to pry loose the grip of
megacorporations over what we do with our bits and their covetous hold
on our wallets.  I encourage Portland citizens to pay attention, think
about the possibilities and support a good idea when you see it.

--
Russell Senior, Secretary
russell at personaltelco.net