[PLUG-TALK] Telephones - where to get

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 3 15:22:47 UTC 2007

On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> Where do folks go to buy two-line telephones to use with POTS (plain old
> telephone service)? My preference is local, so I can hold the thing in
> my hands. I'm willing to buy over the web, as long as there's a decent
> return policy.

Dick,

   I bought my original pair at Office Depot, and the current pair
(Panasonic) via the Web. I've not seen any that require a wall wart for
power. The current set use 3 AA batteries just to light the line lights,
otherwise they run of the POTS juice.

   One caution: when you're considering a model to purchase, check whether it
can actually work with plugged in headsets. My KX-TS21W have a socket, but
they just don't work with anyone's headsets. I tried the cheap models from
Office Depot, and the expensive ones from Plantronics and headsets.com. No
vendor shows support for this particular model and, sure enough, none of
their products work. I would have preferred to use either wired or wireless
headsets, but no such luck.

Happy hunting,

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)