[PLUG-TALK] Lotus Symphony: IBM's Free Alternative to M$Office

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 19 13:53:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, 19 Sep 2007, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Er, ... I had not read the articles, just the headlines. Well, good for
> IBM for putting a different sticker on OO.o and continuing on that path
> rather than creating a competing alternative.

   Well, there's a really interesting article about OO.o being totally
controlled by Sun here:

<http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyId=11&articleId=9037499&intsrc=hm_topic>

   It explains a lot to me why questions I raised to the developers years ago
were not satisfactorily answered. I had not realized that Sun maintained
complete control of OO.o after splitting it from StarOffice.

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)