[PLUG-TALK] Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Fri Sep 21 19:26:29 UTC 2007

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> ??   So, the question - does anyone have any good experiences     ??
> ??   with other brands of CFLs that are efficient and durable?    ??

I bought a compact fluorescent bulb some years ago and found the quality
of light to be really unpleasant as compared to an incandescent bulb and
it took several seconds to turn on and a minute to come to full
brightness.  So I unscrewed it and gave it to Goodwill and went back to
incandescents.  Recently I thought I'd give them a try again as I'd
heard all of the old problems have been solved (slow to turn on,
terrible light) and was again disappointed with the light they gave, too
bluey-green-bleh, not warm and yellow like I prefer and it still took a
minute to achieve full brightness (which was somewhat of a blessing
considering how terrible the light looked).  I unscrewed that one and
gave it to my father-in-law.

Are there brands or models of CF bulbs that really do act like an
incandescent (near-instant on, pleasant yellowy light) but have the
lower fluorescent power consumption which you can recommend?

--Brent