[PLUG-TALK] Compact Fluorescent Bulbs

Ross Brattain ross at principia.edu
Sun Sep 23 07:58:25 UTC 2007

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 10:32:31 -0700
Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> What makes yellow light "pleasant" is that you grew up with incandescent
> illumination - it is purely psychological training.  Yellow light would be

It's worst in the kitchen.  The only thing I still notice is the more greenish color of butter and egg yolks that don't quite look right.  It can be slightly unnerving.  For a while I had one CFL and one incandescent overhead for a mix, but the incandescent burned out so I replaced it with CFL.

The best benefit is the ability to put a 75 watt equivalent (~20 watt) or 100 watt equivalent (~23 watt) into an old labeled-60-watt-only socket.  I've gone to pretty much 75 watt equiv all over.  It's nice and bright.

ross at principia.edu