[PLUG-TALK] RFH: Hard Drive Cables

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Sep 26 13:54:32 UTC 2007

   This Request For Help relates to hardware, specifically to hard drive data
cables.

   The SCSI Flextor CD-RW had its fan bearings go and made a loud grinding
sound when the drive would periodically wake up and run even when not being
used. I bought a IDE replacement, and put that in this morning as the sound
had become constant overnight.

   However, I have a cable length problem. The two hard drives are in the
lower, 3.5" bays (separated by a space for cooling), and the CD-ROM and
CD-RW are in the upper, 5.25" bays open to the outside of the case.

   The first hard drive (/dev/hda) is master on the same cable as the slave
CD-ROM, and the data cable reaches both easily.

   The second hard drive (/dev/hdc) is master on the end of the second cable,
but the slave connection on that cable is too close to the end to reach the
newly installed CD-RW.

   Is there available an extension cable that can connect the physical drive
to the in-line, slave socket on the data cable? Or, are longer cables made
that have several inches between the two connectors on the same data cable?

Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.        |         Accelerators(TM)