[PLUG-TALK] SATA - was: Hard Drive Cables

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Thu Sep 27 20:28:31 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 01:25:33PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've already asked Galen whether it matters to which SATA connector on the
> motherboard I connect the optical drive. I've no experience with SATA
> drives, but using a separate cable to a separate connector seems to be the
> quickest, easiest, most practical solution. I may be wrong about this; I've
> been wrong before about computer hardware.

I am a newbie to SATA myself.  I think the connector order influences
which drive becomes sda/sdb/...

I am hotswapping a PATA drive connected through an IDE-to-SATA adapter,
and it is the only SATA or SCSI or USB connected drive in the system.
While it should always show up as /dev/sda , it has occasionally appeared
as /dev/sdb .  I'm still trying to figure out why.  I also get a kernel
journalling error sometimes  (to the screen, not /var/log/* !!), though
the drive passes fsck -f just fine.

Oh well, they are computers, and ruled by dark forces.