[PLUG-TALK] Computers for linguistics work

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Apr 8 19:37:06 UTC 2008

On Tue, 08 Apr 2008 11:50:29 -0700
Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> dijo:

> John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > <Moved to Plug-Talk>
> > 3) I have tried out TeX, LaTeX, Lyx and poked at them all sufficiently
> > to have discovered that they are too limiting - can't even use OpenType
> > fonts, for example - plus when I installed Lyx it hijacked all text
> > file extensions for itself, even .txt (not nice!),
> >

> You've mentioned this 'hijacking' more than once.  It's not at all
> clear to me that this is the fault of lyx.  I have lyx installed under
> both Xubuntu and Centos, and I haven't seen this problem.  In fact, I
> see the opposite problem.  Double clicking a .lyx(and .txt too) file
> brings up gedit.

In fairness, it has been at least a couple of years since I had that
experience, so things could easily be different today. Moreover, I
debated even mentioning the issue because it is really pretty trivial
and easily deal-with-able. The real reason I don't want to bother with
the TeX family is because there just isn't a payoff for me that is
worth a fraction of the time it would take me to learn it.