[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] OT: Geeky Portland Recommendations

Brent Rieck bsr at spek.org
Thu Apr 17 03:14:20 UTC 2008

Your Portland experience will be different depending on which
neighborhood you settle in, there are vast differences between them..

> - what broadband service is best?

Depends on where you live, some parts of Portland don't have DSL, in
which case you're stuck with Comcast.

> - what cellular company?

I've hated every one I've had.

> - cafes/bars with wifi

Lots and lots, it's nice.

> - good stores for computer parts/supplies?

People buy these things in actual stores?  Weird.  I buy mine online.

> - anything else? favorite beer? best indian restaurant? :)

Bridgeport IPA is a nice beer which is available at nearly every grocery
store in the city, on tap you'll find lots of variety.. depending.  And
despite being a beer town there's a lot of folk who drink Pabst (nothing
wrong with that, it's just not a particularly exciting beer, it is cheap
though.)  It's not uncommon to find dive bars with 5 different
microbrews on tap, it's easy to find bars with more (many more) on tap.
  Good bars (most of them) will let you try a taste before you dive into
a whole pint - but then again, how bad could it be?  Just get a pint and
chalk it up to experience!

Welcome to Portland!

--Brent