[PLUG-TALK] Quest to Verizon Fiber Optic Ping Times

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Apr 25 05:09:52 UTC 2008

On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 03:29:23PM -0700, Jason Martin wrote:

> http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37114/103/
>
> "At least those who can live in Qwest territory, however, now have the
> option to upgrade their service without having to mortgage their
> house. The company is offering 12 Mb/s access for $46.99 and 20 Mb/s
> for $99.99 per month. These prices are guaranteed "for life", which
> means that consumers are protected from nasty price increases that
> come along once in a while."

The article mentions download speed but not whether it is symmetric
upload/download.  It also doesn't mention which areas have it;  for
example, some of the newer Washington county neighborhoods got
Verizon FIOS a year before we got it here.

If there is anybody with Portland area Qwest FIOS, I would be
interested in ping time, and the results of a traceroute.
Specifically, I am curious whether they link networks in Portland,
or they route packets through Seattle or Oakland.