[PLUG-TALK] Driving Around Google in the Dalles

glen e. p. ropella gepr at tempusdictum.com
Mon Aug 11 17:03:52 UTC 2008

Michael wrote:
> A google data center doesn't need much in the way of people.

I'm not sure I believe that.  I understand that a data center doesn't
require many people, or many man-hours.  But, it strikes me that a) the
fewer people needed, the more important each individual person is and b)
the higher the ratio of machines:people, the more people are on the
critical path for the business' objectives.

So, the perversion we've seen is an attempt by google to take advantage
of cheap logistics surrounding one malthusian resource while sacrificing
the logistics of another (i.e. the quality of the people needed to
manage that resource _or_ relying on the increased mobility of some
satisficing level of shipped labor).  Internalize profits.  Externalize
costs.

Assuming the situation stays the same for a long enough time, this will
disenfranchise the people doing the work, thereby reducing the care and
quality they can achieve.  And that will mean google will have to adjust
by shipping in labor from further away, preserving high interest levels
with high turnover, somehow build up the quality they can achieve
locally by building up the people's interest in their work, etc.  Costs
will eventually even out.  If google has made a smart move, they will
make a large enough short-term profit to outweigh the long-term costs
that will eventually catch up.  Or they'll just abandon the location
when those infrastructure costs begin to outweigh the benefits, as was
done by the Aluminum industry (accepting Paul's explanation).

Of course, these are all very minor, especially compared to the really
perverted stuff many of our companies engage in.  It's a minor
perversion... akin to, say, drinking too much alcohol on a Friday night.
[grin]  But, it's still a perversion because businesses consist of
people, regardless of the power, weight, or bandwidth of the assets
those people manipulate.

p.s. It may be odd to think of a janitor wielding so much power.  But
the finer the granularity and specificity of a machine, the more
important the cleanliness and efficiency of that machine.  Janitors,
data entry clerks, etc. may seem like replaceable cogs; but they're not
... not in a healthy business anyway.  We'll see that more and more as
we fill our earth with garbage.