[PLUG-TALK] Google Street Maps

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Mon Aug 11 21:58:11 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:56:18AM -0700, Russell Senior wrote:
> Hey, cool!  I wonder when those showed up.  Some go-ogle-car dude had
> a fun day recently.  Lots of nice regional roadways driven.  Spirit
> Lake Highway, Mt Hood loop, Coast.  There are lots of cool roads
> around the state.  I'd be willing to do some of that duty.  I could
> snarf up some wifi stumbling at the same time!

Have you noticed that the region with street views is a rectangle
centered on Portland (between 46.517N and 44.379N, west of 120.712W )?
The routes terminate abruptly, and where a road wiggles out of the box
(see Airlie Road west of 99W at (44.739, -123.301)  ), the coverage
disappears.  They must have more data they haven't put online yet.

I don't think Google is going to give you mapping duty, though.
"Great news, Bob!  The company is giving you a 8 week vacation
in Oregon, all expenses paid!  Is your auto insurance paid up?".

Perhaps some obsessive person can examine the frames for time
sequence, and figure out where the Google drivers stop for lunch.
"More good news, Bob!  You get to eat at McDonalds all the way!"