[PLUG-TALK] Shoes for the President

Richard C. Steffens rsteff at comcast.net
Tue Dec 16 21:30:47 UTC 2008

Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Unlike some, I don't hate President Bush.  He is a little man
> trying to fill a pair of big shoes.  Given the incompetence of
> the last few years, though, I  can understand why an Iraqi
> journalist would throw his shoes at him.
>
> We should help our soon-to-be ex-President find a pair of shoes
> that fit.  I will be mailing an old pair of my shoes to him at:
>
> President George Walker Bush
> 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue NW
> Washington, DC 20500
>
> ... on Monday December 29, after the Christmas mailing rush slows
> down a bit.  Perhaps the rest of you can join me, and suggest
> this on other lists where political messages are appropriate.
> A mountain of shoes would make an appropriate going-away gift.
> Perhaps we could bronze the mountain and make it his memorial.

I like the idea!

There is potential for more than a well deserved, pointed statement. If
the old shoes aren't in bad shape, they have value to those with fewer
shoes than we have. Maybe a bit of organizing beforehand could turn this
into a national movement with the eventual intention that the shoes be
turned over to some philanthropic groups for distribution to those who
need them.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens